The Australian Youth Affairs Coalition (AYAC) is Australia’s non-government national youth affairs peak body. We undertake a range of activities including research and policy development, youth sector development and youth engagement. Funded by the Federal Government, we work to:
- Represent the issues and interests of young people, and the sector that supports them, at national and international levels
- Offer policy advice to government and other organisations on issues that affect young people and the youth sector
- Promote the well-being of young Australians
- Advance the participation of young people in the community
- Support best practice in youth participation
- Take a leadership role within the youth sector
- Encourage and support coordination and cooperation within the sector
The Australian Youth Affairs Coalition was formed in 2002. We are incorporated under the ACT Associations Incorporations Act (1992) and governed by a constitution and a Board of Directors. We receive expert advice from our Policy Advisory Council (PAC). The Board and PAC include representatives from state and territory youth peaks, the youth sector and young people from across Australia.
We acknowledge the traditional owners of country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures, and to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander elders both past and present.