Changes Needed to Youth Allowance
1. A $50/week increase in youth allowance payments.
2. Changing the parental income and asset tests to include large debts on assets (ie. mortgages), and exclude land used to generate income (ie. family farms).
3. Lowering the age that young people qualify as ‘independent’ from 22 to 18.
4. Increasing the maximum rate of Rental Assistance by 30% to reflect the real costs of renting in student areas.
5. That income tests for student allowances are bought in line with the tests for pensioners.